Mortgage Underwriter - Remote
SUMMARY: The Retail Mortgage Underwriter will underwrite residential mortgage loans in accordance with Secondary Market, Investor and Government (FHA/VA) and GSE underwriting guidelines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Underwrite loan applications to granted credit underwriting authority ensuring adherence to Company and investor credit quality standards.
- Analyze mortgage loan files, which includes customer’s application, income documentation, appraisal and title reports, to ensure compliance with the company's policies, as well as state and federal regulations.
- Analyze loan attributes and documentation for soundness and accuracy.
- Analyze loan applications to identify any risk issues and/or potential misrepresentation.
- Evaluate overall income, credit and equity of each loan application.
- Provide support to Loan Officers and Relationship Managers regarding questions and/or clarification of inquiries, loan files, and underwriting guidelines.
- Ensure timely review and follow-up steps in order to meet and exceed customer’s expectations.
- Keep up to date on investor and regulatory policies, procedures and changes that affect mortgage underwriting.
- Effectively Communicate with, team members and management on outstanding requirements and conditions
- Review all AUS findings and ensure data integrity of income, credit debts, assets and equity calculations and adherence to guidelines.
- Review AUS and ensure of required documentation is obtain as outlined in AUS and supports bullet point above.
Nature of Supervisory Responsibility:
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3 + years underwriting residential mortgage experience.
- Must have conforming conventional experience
- Working knowledge of Encompass.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player with a strong commitment to customer service.
- Adherence to established policies and procedures pertinent to the position which include but are not limited to BSA, Privacy, CRA and Safeguarding Customer Information.
- Effective oral and written communication with customers, co-workers and all levels of management. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well with co-workers and all levels of management.
- Skills to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner by gathering and analyzing information.
- Capable of working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Computer literate experienced with Microsoft Office Suite.
- DE Certification required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Understand and respond to a diverse population
- Perform some repetitive motion activities
- Sit for long periods of time
- Require close vision and the ability to adjust eye focus often
- Required to talk and hear
- Required to reach with hands and arms
- Requires minimal weight to be lifted (not more than 10 pounds) or force exerted on a regular basis.
- Required to communicate electronically
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
- Environment Conditions – While performing the duties of this job, the employee does not work in wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, work in high, precarious places, and/or endure outdoor weather conditions.
- Noise Level – The noise level in the employee’s work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
EVALUATION AND PERFORMANCE METRICS
- Company complaint ratio less than 2% of loan submitted to processing (KPI – Consumer satisfaction survey- made up of complaints submitted to compliance and closing survey results)
- Quality Control error ratio less than 2% (KPI – Quality Control plus Repurchases)
- Ensure 70% all loans are sold within rate lock commitment period with no extension fess.
- 70% of all loans purchased within 20 days or less from closing (KPI – Operational Efficiency)
- 70% of all loans are closed in 45 days or less
- Hit 80% of UNMB Production Goals
- Maintain a satisfactory employee survey results
- Underwriter a minimum 45-60 files/month volume permitting within normal business hours